Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What's on your business card?

Last Thursday, Emie and I were at the center while the flooring was being installed.  I decided to be productive and was putting together a few chairs.  Emie was at the front of the center playing with some brochures and my business cards.  She then brings one of my business cards over to me, tries to hand it to me and says "my card, Ahmie Ah-stein", which is her way of saying Emie Finkelstein.  Why this story stands out to me so much is because I have NO idea how in the world she knows what is on a business card!  I'm don't think I ever handed one out in front of her (b/c I never have them on me) and even if I had, I have never explained to her that a business card has your name on it.  Also, we have only told her about her last name one time.  I seriously doubt this story is anything amazing, but I really am in awe of how much she has picked up in 2 years.

When we got home later that afternoon, I asked her what my business card says and she responded, "mommy ah-stein".  It's interesting to me that she knows that we should have the same last name.  We have different 1st names, so why would we have the same last name?  One might think that she heard us say it, but my last name has not been legally changed and is still Rana.  I then asked, "what if I told you my last name is Rana?".  She then said, "mommy Rana".  My next question was "which do you like better - mommy Finkelstein or mommy Rana?" and her response was "mommy ah-stein"

This was the 1st time I have ever thought I should change my last name.  Knowing that she understands that connection and that it is obviously important to her now makes it important to me...I don't want to ever have to tell her that my name is not the same as hers...

-xoxo

1 comment:

  1. This is a great story, Trish. You will be AMAZED what growth there is between ages 2 and 3. It is astounding! She's adorable!

    ReplyDelete